Posted: April 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm by Seppo
“The Big Bang Theory” was the most popular free online TV show in Canada in January-March 2012. The show captured a 3.3% viewership share of all free TV shows viewed online during this period. Among other top ten online shows were “Alcatraz” in sci-fi & fantasy; “2 Broke Girls”, “Modern Family”, “How I Met Your Mother”, “30 Rock”, “The Daily Show With Jon Stewart”, and “Two And A Half Men” in comedy; “The Young And The Restless” in drama; and “American Pickers” in history/reality TV. As a whole the top ten shows captured a roughly 13% share of all show views.
There were no Canadian entries (Canadian content “CanCon” as defined by CRTC) in the top ten.
Comparing to October-November 2011, “The Big Bang Theory” is still the #1, and even increasing in popularity. “The Young And The Restless” climbed to the top ten the first time, and is also the only drama show entry on the list. On the other hand comedy shows are gaining popularity online, currently taking seven spots out of ten.
Top Ten Most Popular Free Online TV Shows in Canada
|#1||The Big Bang Theory||3.3%|
|#3||2 Broke Girls||1.4%|
|#4||How I Met Your Mother||1.2%|
|#6||The Young And The Restless||1.0%|
|#8||The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||0.92%|
|#9||Two And A Half Men||0.86%|
There are over 1700 free online TV shows legally available in Canada through variety of channels. The top 100 shows took a roughly 50% share of all views. Notably roughly 88% of the available shows were accessed at least once via Streaming Guide in November, leaving a roughly 12% minority of the online shows with very little if any viewership.
The results are based on the online TV viewership on Streaming Guide, www.streaming-guide.com, a free online TV portal for Canada. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.